Favorite Wilde Quotes

~I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.~

~Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.~

~I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know
anything about.~

~Oscar Wilde





Welcome!

Welcome!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Are you looking for Euphoria?

I am posting this recipe in honor of Monica.  She is a friend of mine, who among other things, would rather be making cards, than hanging out in the kitchen.  Or so she says.... My recipe books are always calling my name, so I sometimes find it hard to believe that everyone does not hear them.  I guess Monica's cards shout louder!  You can visit her here, and see the beautiful cards she creates. :)

If you would like to join up to the Sweet Swap -head over to my introduction post and sign up. The swapping is still going on! {Ends: Dec. 31, 2011}

All of the ingredients and kitchen tools are pictured here.  You can see that I set out the Almond butter, because I actually used almond butter.  However, do not do this -it will be too sweet!  Make sure to use peanut butter, as called for in the recipe. Well, maybe you could use the more sour granny smith apples to counteract the almond butter.  I am pretty sure I used a Fuji apple and a Braeburn apple.  (Might have used a Jonagold instead of the Braeburn...)  Let's play a little reverse "I Spy" -can you see what is missing from the tools?



It has 1 or 2 sharp edges..., definitely a handle.....



Yep!  An apple peeler/sharp knife!  You need to discard the peels before you plop them into the crock pot.





Mix everything together, and if it wasn't for the sweet smell -you would be convinced that you were making an Indian panner dish.  Doesn't the caramels look like they could be cheese?


The directions call for you to slice each apple into18 wedges.  My apple corer/slicer cuts fruit into 8 slices -so I cheat and cut those slices in half, only coming up with 16 slices each.  Sorry if I am leading you down a dark path....



Ta da! Now go and do something fun for 5 hours. If you lose track of time while you are goofing around, the post-it note will help bring you back to reality.
When you remove the lid, you will feast your eyes on the mouth watering concoction that is, Caramel-Apple Euphoria


You can serve it with ice cream (my favorite) or...
with angel food cake.  OR, with whatever you like! 




Your recipe awaits.....

Caramel-Apple Euphoria
                            Makes 7 Servings

INGREDIENTS
2 medium (5 to 6 oz. each)
1/2 cup apple juice
24 (about 7 oz.) caramel candy squares, unwrapped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cream-style *peanut butter  (*I  prefer almond butter)
7 slices angel-food cake or 1 quart vanilla ice cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Peel, core and cut each apple into 18 wedges; set aside.
2. In 3-1/2 quart or smaller slow cooker, combine apple juice, unwrapped caramel candies,
    vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon.
3. Drop peanut butter, 1 teaspoon at a time, over ingredients in slow cooker; stir.
4. Add apple wedges; cover and cook on LOW 5 hours.
5. Stir contents of slow cooker thoroughly; cover and cook on LOW 1 additional hour.
6. Serve approximately 1/3 cup of warm caramel-apple mixture over a slice of angel-food
    cake or vanilla ice cream.

 Source:
The Crockery Cook by Mabel Hoffman


Recommendation from Mabel:
"Treat yourself to this people-pleasing dessert.  Try substituting ripe peach for apples and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract for cardamom."

Because I care about your health, I chose this apple recipe to help you incorporate fruit into your diet.
Each healthy serving contains:
216 calories; 4g protein; 32g carbohydrates; 9g fat; 1mg cholesterol; 67mg sodium

4 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks soooo yummy!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog :) I have enough scrap paper to cover my whole block! I forgot to mentio in my post that the crepe streamers where left over from haloween LOL
    I'm happy to follow you back!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweeeeeeeet of you to honour me so... How lucky I am to have such thoughtful blog buddies.

    Yes, it did look like paneer curry. Lol.

    I hope I do try the recipe. I think I will ask my daughter to do it with me.

    Hugs to you,

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JenniferHah! Don't you love it when project supplies lend themselves to all seasons? Black for December? Who would have thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MonicaI hope you like it! I did not mention (forgot!) that if you do not have a smaller crock pot, you can always place a smaller dish INSIDE your larger crockpot, and just place the lid on as usual. A container, like Pyrex/glass, or stoneware. Just something that is O.K. for heat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so much fun! Thanks for stopping by :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...